Meal plan - example recipes
There are a number of meal plans available as part of the Nuffield Health weight management programme. The Physiologist delivering your programme will decide which meal plan you could benefit from the most. They are designed to either, reduce the level of fat consumed in your diet, balance your blood sugar or reduce your overall calorie intake. Your Physiologist will consider factors in your current eating pattern, your questionnaire or test results, or other signs in your general physiology (i.e. the way your body functions) when deciding which meal plan is best for you.
We have a wide range of additional meal plans to suit each of the nutrition options of the Weight Management Programme:
- Reduced calorie meal plans and recipes
- Reduced fat meal plans and recipes
- Your low GL meal plans and recipes.
Example low calorie recipes:
Breakfast smoothie (V).
Place all the ingredients in a smoothie maker or food processor and blend until smooth. Serve chilled in a tall glass.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 large sliced banana
- 2 cups low fat vanilla or strawberry yoghurt
- 2 cups low fat granola.
Spicy chicken salad with broccoli.
Steam the broccoli for 4 minutes until just tender, tip into a large bowl, then season. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan, then fry the shallots for 2 minutes. Add the chillies and garlic, then cook for a further 4 minutes until softened.
Remove the shallots, chilli and garlic with a slotted spoon, then mix with the broccoli, olives and chicken. Add the soy sauce to the pan, warm over a medium heat, then pour over the salad. Eat warm or cold.
291kcal per portion.
- 4 roast chicken breasts, sliced
- 2 broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 shallots, finely sliced
- Handful pitted black olives
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2red chillies , deseeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced.
Spicy root and lentil casserole (V).
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so. Top with yoghurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.
378kcal per serving.
- 100g red lentils
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
- 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
- a small bunch of fresh coriander , roughly chopped
- low-fat yoghurt and naan bread, to serve.
Cut and peel cucumbers however you like. Put cucumbers in a bowl, and squeeze either a lemon or lime on them. Pour desired amount of chilli powder over cucumbers.
39kcal per serving.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 tsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp chilli powder.